Federal Programs

About Title I Federal Programs

In 1965, the federal government funded a "catch up" program in American Education. The first section of this program was Title I of the Elementary Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Through the years, the law changed its name. In 2001, Title I was reauthorized under the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act. Although the names have changed, the purpose of Title I has remained the same...to provide "financial assistance to meet the special educational needs of children". It pays for additional teachers, materials, equipment, and services, as well as parent and teacher training.

In the Marion Center Area School District, Title I services are provided at both elementary buildings. Based on various assessments, students from kindergarten through sixth grade showing the greatest need in Reading related areas are identified for program services. Some of the Title I instructional support is provided in-class by the general education teacher. Children who need additional help may be pulled from the classroom and receive remediation from a Title I Reading specialist. These children are not penalized for missing regular classroom instruction. Using a small group or one-to-one setting, the Title I teachers can differentiate instruction by using materials and approaches that are designed specifically to meet the particular needs of their students. Our main goal is to provide supplemental instruction in order for these children to meet the rigorous educational standards that Pennsylvania has established.

Translation Services

For families who do not speak English, the United School District recommends the use of the site translate.google.com to help families and/or students needing Title I forms or student information translated to a language other than English. Through this site, the user can place a link to the desired website or text from a form in the translate box (on the left of the screen) and it will convert the information to the chosen language (on the right of the screen). If you need assistance with this service, please contact the elementary or high school offices.